Have you noticed how chicken is really versatile? It can be flavored and marinaded in tens of different ways, and cooks so very fast. Packed with protien, it's also extremely 'regime' friendly (only if it's skinnless though... let's not kid ourselves, shall we?). Speaking of skin, I'm not really a fan - and not just because its consumption is like shaking hands with coronary heart disease. I'm just disappointed at how the skin is always slathered with all the good stuff, and retains the spices and flavor and color when it's cooked, leaving little to the tender flesh beneath - and that's why everything in this recipe makes sure that the flesh is infused with the flavor of spices and onion and garlic first, with not a scrap of skin in sight.
And because chicken thighs are so tender, they can afford to be skinnless, because they'll still be tender when they're baked in the oven and turn red-gold as their juices run clear. Yum! In about half an hour, you can dig into this effortless dish (cooked without oil or butter... you wont need them, trust me) with your choice of either salad, rice or pasta as a side - all of which you can make as these thighs bake in the oven about 30 minutes.
• 4 cleaned and drained skinless chicken thighs
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 medium onions, quatered
• generous seasonings of salt and pepper
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme • BBQ or tomato sauce for brushing
• Preheat oven to 240.C
• Rub chicken thighs with minced garlic, and arrang in an oven-friendly dish (such as pyrex or ceramics)
• Arranged quatered onions in openings around chicken thighs
• Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dried thyme
• Cover dish with foil, and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes
• Uncover, and brush chicken thighs with BBQ or tomato sauce, and leave uncovered in the oven for another 10 -15 minutes
• Chicken thighs should start taking on a crisp red-gold color as juices run clear. To speed it up, you might want to turn on the broiler for a few minutes
• Serve with the side of your choice!