Pesto goes with just about everything - meat, chicken, bread, pasta, breads, vegetables. It's so versatile, so nutritional, and so easy! If I find a good batch of basil, I make this recipe in advance and store small boxes of it in the freezer until I need it. And when lime-basil is available, all the better (some recipes allow for the use of other greens, such as kale, but none are as fragrant as basil) Also, traditional pesto requires the use of pinenuts. Quality pinenuts are great, but other nuts work just as fine. I personally use whatever raw nuts I have on hand. In this recipe I go for cashews, but I could just as well use almonds or walnuts. There are no rules - it really is all up to you :)
• 2 cups fresh basil, packed
• 2 cloves garlic
• 2/3 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup raw cashews (or another nut)
• 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (if you're vegan, you can do without)
• salt and pepper to taste
• Pulse all the ingredients in a blender or food processor a few times, then continuously until fully incorporated.
• Use in your dishes as you please, or store in an air-tight container in the fridge, or freeze. And that's it!