Face it … unless you’ve got lots of time on your hands, making fancy-shmansy gourmet cuisine every day is probably impossible. But the bright side is you really don’t need too. You can, quite easily, make simple, nutritional, and feel-good food in your kitchen with a teeny bit of effort and a whole heap of flavor. This recipe is quite the no-brainer, with a basic idea that takes only minutes to prepare and about 40 minutes to get itself together in the oven. Tasting suspiciously like teriyaki, you wont need much except a baking dish, a jug, a bowl, and a staple to serve it with. I’d go for rice, because that way, you can take advantage of whatever saucy-goodness remains in the bottom of your dish. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ kilos chicken drumsticks
- 1 heaped tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 10 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 cup apple or pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400.C
- Lightly oil a large baking dish / coat with nonstick spray
- Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl
- In a large bowl or jug, whisk together soy sauce, juice, honey, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch mixture.
- Arrange the drumsticks in a single layer onto baking dish. Pour the mixture evenly over the drumsticks, making sure everything is coated.
- Place into oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, using tongs to turn at halftime. Turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the drumsticks are slightly charred.
- Serve, sprinkled with sesame seeds